e-newsletter client login
articles and presentations
financial calculators
record retention
tax news
useful site links

Join our mailing list

We publish an e-newsletter that includes the latest news and tax alerts. To subscribe, enter your email address below:

How Do I Set Up A Like-Kind Exchange?
Gary A. Grossman, CPA, CFP, Partner
April 2016

Under Code Sec. 1031, a taxpayer can make a tax-free exchange of property held for productive use in a trade or business or for investment. The exchange must be made for other property that the taxpayer will continue to use in a trade or business or for investment. Ordinarily, the exchange is made directly with another taxpayer who holds like-kind property. For example, an investor in real estate may exchange a building with another person who also owns real estate for use in a trade or business or for investment.

Another way to take advantage of Code Sec. 1031 is to make a deferred like-kind exchange, using a third person to facilitate the exchange. This can be advantageous when the taxpayer cannot find another holder of like-kind property to make a direct exchange with. The taxpayer identifies a third person to act as a qualified intermediary (QI) and enters into a legal agreement with the QI. The QI is not treated as the agent of the taxpayer. The QI acquires from the taxpayer the property that the taxpayer is relinquishing, and sells the property to another person identified by the taxpayer. As part of the transaction, the QI acquires legal title to the property and transfers it to the person buying the property.

The agreement between the taxpayer and the QI must provide that the taxpayer has no right to the proceeds received by the QI. Otherwise, the taxpayer would be in actual or constructive receipt of the proceeds. If this occurred, the exchange would not be tax-free.

To complete the deferred like-kind exchange, the taxpayer will identify other like-kind property that it wishes to acquire, perhaps from a fourth person. The QI will use the proceeds from the original sale to purchase the property sought by the taxpayer, again acquiring legal title to the property. Finally, the QI will transfer the acquired property to the taxpayer. The taxpayer’s transfer of the relinquished property and acquisition of the replacement property qualify as a like-kind exchange.

For more information about like-kind exchanges contact Gary A. Grossman, CPA, CFP at 315.701.6304 or ggrossman@gsacpas.com.

back to articles & presentations



Grossman St. Amour CPAs PLLC
110 West Fayette Street, One Lincoln Center, Suite 900 • Syracuse, NY 13202
T 315.424.1120   F 315.422.0829   info@gsacpas.com
Privacy Policy

| About Us | Our Team | Firm News | Community Involvement | Associations/Memberships | Client Testimonials | Accounting & Auditing Services | Audit & Attest Engagements | Financial Statement Preparation | Bookkeeping | Internal Control Review | Fraud Examination & Deterrence | Consulting Services | Business Formation & Valuation | Financial Benefits & Retirement Planning | Merger, Acquisition & Succession Planning | Management Consulting | Real Estate Planning | Technology Consulting | Tax Services | Income Tax Return Preparation | Payroll & Sales Tax Return Preparation | Tax Planning for Businesses | Tax Planning for Individuals | IRS and State Tax Audit Representation  | Industries Served  | Affordable Housing | Construction & Real Estate | Employee Benefit Plans | Equestrian Businesses | Fire Districts Government / Municipalities | Medical Practices & Healthcare | Not-For-Profit | Public School Districts | Manufacturing and Retail Distribution | Resources | Articles & Presentations | Financial Calculators | Record Retention Guidelines | Tax News | Useful Site Links | Career Opportunities | Benefits | Employee Testimonials | Contact Information | Directions